Doing some things

Seems like the last few days have been spent doing paperwork and not as enjoyable as I like. Paperwork is inside and that is not where I want to be. Today was finally beautiful again and I was out and about. Mostly mowing, which isn’t that exciting, but I don’t mind it.

We did have some excitement Saturday!


Baby Rabbits!! This isn’t a great picture, but they hadn’t been here very long at this time. There are 10, yes 10! baby New Zealand white bunnies there in that pile. For those of you that aren’t familiar with rabbits, the mother will pull her own belly fur just before having kits to make the nest. Then she covers the kits up and that keeps them warm while she goes to eat and drink. Gina is a very good, VERY protective mom. She doesn’t like us messing around so we don’t much. I try to check them once a day, but otherwise try to leave them alone. I am excited she had a good sized litter. They will hopefully all be shown in the fair this year.


While cleaning, I found our own Charlotte’s web! I just thought it looked neat.


Today is the 16th of May. According to when we put the buck in with the does, they should be due the end of this month. Since we have 3 potential first time mommies, it was time that Ransom and Junior moved out of the barn into the buck pen. There is plenty of grass and space out there and the two of them were having a good time running around.

I put Indi, Button and Janet in the kidding pen. I want to watch them and feed them a little more. They also got a pedicure again today and a good brushing.

Indi and Button, and oh look! Another hidden nest.



Went to check out the Marshall County Animals Swap today. Unfortunately, by the time we got there, most of the people had packed up and left. I was pretty disappointed. I will know to go early. I wasn’t really looking for anything, but did come home with 4 baby chicks. We got a New Hampshire Red, Barred Rock, Americana, and a Red Star. Didn’t really need them, but the kids thought we should probably have them!

Finally the last little project. I have been trying to feed the rabbits as much hay as they will eat with a few supplemental pellets and veggies. The problem I have had with hay is they don’t clean it all up and it just makes a stuck mess of the bottom of their cages. So I have a solution I am trying.


This is a tray I bought 2 for a $1 at Dollar Tree. I cut the top slats out and the zip tie it to the cage. They should be able to pull the hay through the cage holes but not the entire amount at once. It is supposed to help keep them busy and big enough to hold plenty so that they can eat anytime. I am hoping it works, we will see.

Hope you enjoyed your weekend!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s